Why Electricity Needs to Be Grounded
Electricity needs to be grounded to help safeguard your property from any broken circuits and overloads. Electricity can escape out the wiring during power surges, which can potentially shock someone, ignite a fire, and damage property. The ground wire acts as a safe path for electricity to run in the event of a short circuit.
In every electrical circuit, there’s an active wire that carries the electricity and a neutral wire that carries the power back. An additional ‘grounding wire’ can be attached to outlets, various electrical devices, and the ground via a breaker box. In the event of a short circuit, the ground wire will trip the circuit breaker or blow a fuse, which is much more preferable to the dangerous shock that would occur otherwise.
Here are the top five reasons why electricity needs to be grounded:
- Redirecting electrical overload. If lightning strikes your house or your power surges for some other reason, your system will have a dangerously high amount of voltage in the system. A grounded system will safely send all that electricity into the Earth, protecting your electronics from damage.
- Directing electricity. Even when there’s not a problem, ground wires can make it easier to direct power to where it needs to go. This allows currents to safely and effectively travel through your system.
- Stabilizing voltage levels. Having a grounded electrical system can also make it easier to keep voltage levels balanced. This can prevent circuits from becoming overloaded and blown.
- The Earth is a great conductor. Excess electricity always takes the path of least resistance, and the Earth offers a safe way for that electricity to leave your home. When entering the Earth, the electricity dissipates harmlessly, which could be a literal lifesaver.
- Protecting you from damage and injury. Without a properly grounded electrical system, you’re risking the health of your electronics as well as your own. Overloads can do a variety of nasty things like frying circuits, starting fires, or giving painful or lethal shocks.
Benefits of Choosing Excel Electric LLC
Here at Excel Electric LLC, we use our experience and equipment to ensure 100% satisfaction. We hold our work to the highest standards of excellence and integrity in all of our electrical services, and our work is fully licensed and insured. In addition, all of our work comes with a one-year guarantee.
Call Excel Electric LLC at (561) 459-8825 or contact us online if you need help grounding your electrical system in Port St. Lucie!