In every electrical circuit, there’s an active wire that carries the electricity and a neutral wire that carries the power back. An additional ‘grounding wire’ can be attached to outlets, various electrical devices, and the ground via a breaker box. The ground wire acts as a safe path for electricity to run in the event of a short circuit. In the event of a short circuit, the ground wire will trip the circuit breaker or blow a fuse, which is much more preferable to the dangerous shock that would occur otherwise. If you call Excel Electric, we’ll be able to safely install a grounding wire to protect you, your home, and your electronics.
Here are five big reasons to have a grounding wire:
- Redirecting electrical overload. If lightning strikes your house or your power surges for some other reason, your system will have a dangerously high amount of voltage in the system. A grounded system will safely send all that electricity into the Earth, protecting your electronics from damage.
- Directing electricity. Even when there’s not a problem, ground wires can make it easier to direct power to where it needs to go. This allows currents to safely and effectively travel through your system.
- Stabilizing voltage levels. Having a grounded electrical system can also make it easier to keep voltage levels balanced. This can prevent circuits from becoming overloaded and blown.
- The Earth is a great conductor. Excess electricity always takes the path of least resistance, and the Earth offers a safe way for that electricity to leave your home. When entering the Earth, the electricity dissipates harmlessly, which could be a literal lifesaver.
- Protecting you from damage and injury. Without a properly grounded electrical system, you’re risking the health of your electronics as well as your own. Overloads can do a variety of nasty things like frying circuits, starting fires, or giving painful or lethal shocks.
Why should I trust Excel Electric with my wiring?
Here at Excel Electric, we use our experience and equipment to ensure 100% satisfaction. We hold our work to the highest standards of excellence and integrity, and our work is fully licensed and insured. In addition, all of our work comes with a one-year guarantee.
When you need a professional to help with your electricity, call Excel Electric today!